Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Life of a Servant



Many of you know what it is like to be a caregiver. It may be to elderly family members or to small children. Some of you know what it is like to care for someone with disabilities. However you have spent the time as a caregiver, I believe it is a universal theme to crave some solo time. Some time when you are not responsible for anyone else.

This weekend I have not had to be a caregiver. I have read, have sewed, have done some chores without interruption, but now, I am missing the interaction with the person I care for each day.

I would have to say that of all the Christian "duties" the one I find the most ease in doing is serving. I get embarrassed if a big deal is made out of something I do for others. I find simple expressions of gratitude or words of encouragement quietly done if someone feels the need to give them more than adequate.

Often times the life of a caregiver whether in a paid position or as a family member is often overlooked by many in our community. I am blessed because the demands of my duties as a caregiver are very simple.

Today, I am asking you to take the time to show appreciation to caregivers that have a heavy load. Do you know someone who cares for a person with Alzheimer's? How about parents of an autistic child? Have you told people thank you for caring for you when you needed it?

So, how does being thankful for caregivers, being a caregiver, and my weekend off enjoying me time fit into a blog for a Healthier Me?

We all need down time just to rest from time to time. God knew this and He set aside a whole day each week for us to rest and worship Him!

We all need to have a heart of a servant. God wants us caring for and looking after one another. Think of all the teachings in the Bible directed towards parents. We as a church family also have the duty of being caregivers for the widows and orphans to consider as well. And, if the need be, we will serve the sick, the poor and the hungry in our communities too. I think being a caregiver is one of the best ways to truly teach about God through action when the heart is in the right place. "I'd rather SEE a sermon than HEAR a sermon any day." I don't know who said, but I like that expression.

As for being thankful for caregivers. We are to be thankful for everything.

There is no journey I want to go on alone. God created us as social creatures. So, when I look out in the world around me and I see folks carrying heavy loads in their families it makes me want to help shoulder their load. I figure the good Lord made me a sturdy individual and if I set my feet to a task so that He may be glorified then He'll see to it that I have the strength I need to get the job done. Many look down on caretakers because most of them are not highly paid, or many of them give up working in order to stay home to care for children, or sick/disabled family members. Some people I know feel that I am wasting my life doing the work that I do, however, I look at in a different way. I look at is as laying up treasures in heaven. I am thankful for simple tastes, that allow me to live by simple means. God has not failed to provide for me yet!

I hope we all have care taking responsibilities in our lives. It helps us to stay humble. I pray that we try our best to serve with a smile, and seek ways to go the extra mile. AND, I hope that in our roles as caretakers we feel appreciated, that we get rest when needed, and that our roles as caregivers glorifies the Lord.

Sometimes our roles as caretakers wears us out and keeps us from taking care of our bodies and souls as we need to with proper nutrition and exercise. BUT remember, the people we care for need us to be of sound body and soul so take care of yourself, look to the Lord, and ask for help when feeling overwhelmed!

May your day be blessed. May your charges be grateful. May you stay focused on a journey to a Healthier Me body and soul!

As always, thank you for your encouragement. Contact me if there is anything I can do to encourage you along your way, and if you don't know the Lord and would like someone to help you find His ways for you please let me know! We can study about Him together! Leah

Together we are all better Caregivers!

No comments:

Post a Comment