Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Spice it up!!!



I have been looking up interesting things about spice and what they bring to the table as far as food preparation. It is simply amazing to me the powerful punch some spices can bring to food with just a tiny amount being added.

Think about Cayenne pepper, or red pepper. This is a spice that can bring some HEAT, which I absolutely love! It not only brings heat or a little zip if used in moderation, it is also packed with anti-oxidants too! Plus, it stimulates your metabolism, which helps you burn off calories faster.

As I researched spices, I could not help but think about the fact that God tells us in Matthew 5:13 that we are the salt of the earth, but if we lose our flavor we become useless and should be thrown out.



If I went to my cupboard and reached into it for my Cayenne pepper there are some things I am looking for as I do so. I don't want to see green mold in my bottle. If I do, then I know that I did not properly store or protect my spice and I will need to toss it out. The same goes with my soul. If I don't protect my soul from things in the world, like poor choices of entertainment, having friends that I spend to much time with whom are very worldly, or failing to study the scriptures and pray daily, then I am not properly caring for my soul as a Christian should. This will make me useless to do the Lord's work.

Also, if I find the Cayenne pepper looking as it should and I measure out the right amount, but upon tasting my food can not discern its flavor at all, then I am going to go check my spice. If I taste it and find that it has no flavor then I will toss it out.

As, I drove for my job today, I listened to a sermon about the book of Acts. Johnny Ramsey does a very good job of teaching entire books in an overview and something he discussed today made me think. The early Christians were under great persecution. They sometimes died preaching and teaching so that the Word of God could be spread. Today, we are so blessed in America with religious freedom, yet we fail to advocate boldly in the world around us. We blend in. We have no unique flavor. We are like the Cayenne pepper that failed to do its job and had to be tossed out into the trash.

I know this blog post really isn't about a healthy lifestyle leading to weight loss. UNLESS, as a Christian you feel guilt at times for not knowing the Bible better, or not having the confidence in what you know to be the truth to defend your faith. If you are an emotional eater, and you feel that you fail to be a good Christian, that may be a reason for some of your emotional eating.

God doesn't expect us to be flowery orators. Look at Moses. God sent Aaron with him. God doesn't expect us to learn it all in one day either. Look how long he took Saul/Paul aside to teach him after his conversion. So, if you feel that you need to get into the scripture jump on in, it is a wonderful place to be. If you feel that you have been remiss in studying as you should, then just ask for forgiveness. God loves you, He wants you in heaven, and He is ready, willing, and able to forgive you.

So, if you want to spice up your life here are two things you can do.
1. Do a little research into spices. You may be very surprised what health benefits they will bring to your physical diet, and what tasty treats they will bring to your taste buds.
2. Get into some serious Bible study. It will enrich your soul, it will draw you closer to the Master, and it will prepare you to be a better servant of His.

Thank you all for your encouragement. Please keep trying to reach your goals. The Lord needs us to be healthy body and soul to get out there and reach and teach the lost, to care for the sick, the elderly and the orphans. If you are in a situation that doesn't allow you to be mobile very easily, there are many things you can do from home. You can teach World Bible School correspondence classes. You can be an encourager via Facebook, or snail mail. You can be a prayer warrior. You can study the word and write curriculum for Bible classes that are 100% Biblically accurate! ANY WHERE YOU ARE IN LIFE, GOD CAN USE YOU, IF YOU ARE WILLING TO FOLLOW WHERE HE LEADS!

Stay focused! Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment